The Chemists’ Club History
The Chemists’ Club was organized in November, 1898 by 154 chemists who had been meeting for years in empty classrooms and lecture halls. The meetings became so popular that a permanent meeting place became necessary, and the first club for chemists was formed. Before long, newer and larger quarters were needed. In 1909, Dr. Morris Loeb set out to solve this problem and two years later, the first Clubhouse was opened.
The original club rooms held many of the most important chemical meetings of the times. Leaders in these activities included Leo H. Baekeland, Charles F. Chandler, Marston T. Bogert, Morris Loeb, E.G. Love, William McMutrie, T.J. Parker, Charles F. Squibb, William J. Schieffelin, and Maximillian Toch.
Among contributing factors to the Club’s success was the development of its world class library. The Chemists’ Club library was established with the American Chemical Society’s library as its nucleus together with the private collections of Dr. Morris Loeb, Dr. Frederick Schweitzer, Dr. Hugo Schweitzer, Professor Charles F. Chandler, Dr. J. Meritt Mathews and others.
For over 100 years, The Chemists’ Club has served as a meeting venue, listening post, social focus, and technical archive for all of the individuals associated with the broad area of the life science including chemistry and its manifold of industrial uses.
The Club provides networking opportunities for members to meet with others who share their interests in the biotech, chemical, paper, pharmaceutical, metal, and similar industries. Members include chemists, chemical engineers, chemical industry management, formulators, security analysts, attorneys, educators, and other professions, including academia. The club has broadened its membership to all who share an interest in the sciences, whatever, their vocation. In an exciting period of change, the Club has broadened its membership to all who share an interest in the sciences, whatever their vocation. Today, The Chemists’ Club welcomes a cross-section of individuals from business, the professions, and academia.